Search For Certainty
28. Armageddon and the Seven Last Plagues
Victory Is Certain!
In 1945 William Ripley of "Believe It or Not" fame stood amid the ruins of Hiroshima, Japan. From that city devastated by the atom bomb, Ripley announced to his radio audience, “I am standing on the spot where the end of the world began.”
Numerous wars during this century have gripped world leaders with the possibility that the end is near. Among today’s prophets of doom are legislators, educators, sociologists, scientists, and environmentalists.
Thousands are stunned with bewilderment regarding the future. They wander in a maze of confusion.
God reveals through prophecy an outline of coming events for the informed Christian. According to Bible prophecy the crisis at the close is not merely a military struggle. It is the last battle in the longstanding conflict between Christ and Satan.
The seven last plagues and the Battle of Armageddon focus on the end of human history and the coming of Christ. It is with this background that we enter into this Bible lesson.
01. What great crisis will this world soon face?
16. He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17. and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
02. What are the results or consequences of receiving the mark of the beast?
09. Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand,
10. he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb.
03. What is the "Wrath of God .. poured out full strength"?
Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous: seven angels having the seven last plagues, for in them the wrath of God is complete.
Since Satan hates God, he desires that all men and women receive his mark rather than God’s seal. When every human being has chosen between the mark of the beast and the seal of God, the plagues will fall. All who rebel against God and knowingly accept the allegiance of the beast, substituting a human decree for the divinely inspired commandments of God, will be recipients of the seven last plagues.
Revelation 16:2-15 lists the first six plagues:
Sea of blood
Rivers and springs of waters as blood
Sun scorching people
Darkness on seat of the beast
Battle of great day of God Almighty
04. After these six plagues are described, what announcement comes from heaven?
“Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.”
This text is Christ’s encouragement to His followers, urging them to persevere in light of His soon return.
These plagues are called the seven last plagues. Ten plagues fell on Egypt in Old Testament times. The first three fell on both the Egyptians and the Israelites; the last seven fell only on the Egyptians.
At end-time, the seven last plagues fall on only the wicked, while the righteous, still on earth, are protected. Jesus comes as a thief after, not before, the plagues.
05. Does God promise to protect His people during the plagues?
02. I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust.”
03. Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And from the perilous pestilence.
04. He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
05. You shall not be afraid of the terror by night, Nor of the arrow that flies by day,
06. Nor of the pestilence that walks in darkness, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.
07. A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you.
08. Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked.
09. Because you have made the LORD, who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place,
10. No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;
11. For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.
06. What assurance does God give that He will feed us during this time?
14. The sinners in Zion are afraid; Fearfulness has seized the hypocrites: “Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? Who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings?”
15. He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, He who despises the gain of oppressions, Who gestures with his hands, refusing bribes, Who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed, And shuts his eyes from seeing evil:
16. He will dwell on high; His place of defense will be the fortress of rocks; Bread will be given him, His water will be sure.
07. Where do we find our refuge, or security in this time of trouble?
01. God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble.
02. Therefore we will not fear, Even though the earth be removed, And though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
08. How will Satan attempt to unite all nations to destroy God’s people in earth’s last war?
For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.
09. What is this battle called?
And they gathered them together to the place called in Hebrew, Armageddon.
The word “Armageddon” comes from the Hebrew “Har Megiddo,” meaning mountain of assembly. During one of Israel’s greatest crises, when it appeared that doom was certain, God intervened and sent reinforcements at precisely the right moment (Judges 5:19). During the last days of earth’s history, infuriated by the plagues, the whole world will be turned into a vast battlefield as the wicked attempt to destroy God’s people. It will appear as if their doom is certain.
10. As the whole world is mobilized to destroy the people of God, what three divine judgments fall?
Revelation 16:18, 20-21
18. And there were noises and thunderings and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake, such a mighty and great earthquake as had not occurred since men were on the earth.
20. Then every island fled away, and the mountains were not found.
21. And great hail from heaven fell upon men, each hailstone about the weight of a talent [34 Kg!]. Men blasphemed God because of the plague of the hail, since that plague was exceedingly great.
The three divine judgments:
A great and mighty earthquake
The islands and mountains are moved out of their places
A great hail falling upon men
Once again God will intervene. When the enemy is ready to pounce on God’s people, like a lion stalking its prey to destroy it, God will powerfully manifest His hand to deliver them.
11. What marvelous announcement does the seventh angel make?
Then the seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and a loud voice came out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, “It is done!”
It is done! Life’s trials and heartaches are over. It is time for God to deliver His people.
12. How is this mighty deliverance of God's people described?
07. Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.”
08. And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
09. Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!’ ” And he said to me, “These are the true sayings of God.”
In the last moments of time Jesus returns as King of kings and Lord of lords and finally and completely destroys Satan and his work. Christ’s followers triumph; right conquers.
13. What is the glorious climax of the seven last plagues?
11. Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war.
12. His eyes were like a flame of fire, and on His head were many crowns. He had a name written that no one knew except Himself.
13. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.
14. And the armies in heaven, clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
15. Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
16. And He has on His robe and on His thigh a name written: KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
Friend, the outcome of the battle is certain. No matter how discouraging the future appears, Jesus and His people will triumph. Would you like to reconfirm your confidence in Jesus by inviting Him into your life right now, before it is forever too late?
FOR FURTHER STUDY
Read the Following Bible passages:
1 Corinthians 10:13
2 Timothy 1:9
1 John 4:18, 19